October is National Energy Awareness Month. At Miller’s we always place a focus on helping our customers become more energy efficient. So, this month is just an opportunity for us to really let our customers know why energy efficiency is so important. Let’s talk about what energy efficiency actually is and what you can do to achieve it.
Energy Efficiency Definition: reducing the amount of energy required to products or services, often without a reduction in performance.
Why It Is Important: it combats climate change, cleans the air we breathe, improves the competitiveness of businesses, and reduces energy costs for consumers.
Tips for Your Home: Follow these few tips to help make your home more energy efficient.
- Switch to LED lights. On average, LED’s consume 80% less energy when compared to incandescent light bulbs. While they may cost a little more up-front, they last much longer than alternative bulbs.
- Upgrading fixtures and appliances. Many new plumbing fixtures, including faucets, shower-heads, and even toilets are now being made energy efficient to include low-flow options.
- Lower the water heater temperature. It is recommended to keep your water temperature at 120 degrees, this is both energy efficient and safer for your body.
- Look for the Energy Star label. Appliances such as dishwashers, refrigerators, washing machines, and clothes dryers can be Energy Star approved, helping to save up to 30% on electricity.
- Make an effort at water conservation. Aside from installing low-flow fixtures, there are a few other ways to save on water consumption.
- Take shorter showers. We know, it’s nice to stand under the hot water for a few minutes to wake yourself up, but you will conserve much more water by keeping your shower time minimal.
- Spread out laundry and dish-washing. Try not to run the two appliances at the same time and spread out your loads.
- Reduce any outdoor water waste. Try not to over water your yard or garden. While it is still quite hot out, do not water your lawn in the hottest part of the day. The sun’s rays will evaporate the water.
A few things on this list may be easier than others. After all, we all may not have the opportunity to run out and buy new fixtures and appliances. However, even the smallest amount of effort can help make a difference in conserving energy. To learn more about energy efficient options, contact Miller’s at 804-758-4314.